Having a Secure Wireless LAN
The general acoption of 802.11n has created a very complex landscape for wireless - particularly with the proliferation of mobile devices and apps.
It's not appropriate anymore to treat all users or apps on your wireless LAN the same. In addition, threats from malware for mobile devices, as well as various social media networks provides a huge need to deploy and also enforce granular WLAN control policies.
Fortinet offers business-grade wireless solution tjat adress these challenges:
- Identifies business applications and controls their usage
- Applies full UTM policies to both wired and wireless data
- Brings maximum productivity with fair-use enforcement
- Empowers identity-driven policies without complexity
- Introduces simplicity via single pane of glass management
- Provides deployment flexibility with low TCO
FortiAP Secure Wireless Access
Integrated Wireless Security and Access Solutions
The FortiAP 200 series are Fortinetï¿½s affordable, IEEE802.11n standards based thin architecture access point products that provide concurrent security and WiFi client access operation on both the 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz spectrums.
Secure WiFi with FortiAP
Configuring a small office WiFi network by using a FortiGate unit to manage an FortiAP Remote WiFi access point. The WiFi network uses DHCP to assign IP addresses and WPA2-Personal security. WPA2-Personal security means there will be one preshared key that users must know to access the WiFi network. Security policies are required to allow WiFi users to access both the office network and the Internet
The FortiAP series utilizes industry leading wireless chip technology that takes advantage of 2x2 MIMO technology with dual transmit streams. This MIMO technology allows the FortiAP to reach wireless association rates as high as 300Mbps per radio and also allows the coverage to extend twice as far as legacy 802.11a/b/g. Internal antenna design and sleek white enclosure camouflage the access point for indoor deployment and reduce chances of vandalism.
Designed for use exclusively with Fortinetï¿½s FortiGate series, FortiAPï¿½s thin AP architecture tunnels all traffic to the FortiGate Controller for added security and ease of management, eliminating the need for a separate WiFi controller.
Each FortiAP can support up to 8 SSIDs per radio - 7 for client access and 1 for scanning and these SSIDs show up as Interfaces on the FortiGate. This architecture allows all the FortiGate UTM security policies and IPS features to be applied to the wireless network as a natural extension of the FortiGate. FortiAPs use multiple discovery techniques to find available FortiGate controllers over L2 or L3 networks.
FortiAP and FortiGate Wireless Controllers Deliver a Powerhouse Security Solution
- Secure Wireless Networks: Rogue Access Point (AP) Detection and Remediation (for PCI compliance), granular endpoint control, audit-ready reports and specific measurable analysis
- Improve Performance: Speedy 802.11n and significantly higher scalability than the competition
- Simplify Your Administration: Use existing FortiGate devices for WLAN Control - Turnkey Audit Reports make compliance easier
- Lower Total Cost of Ownership (TCO): One access point, many uses.
FortiWifi™ security gateways with built-in wireless access points and broadband wireless capabilities support SOHO/ROBO, telecommuter, and POS deployments. Both solutions are backed by the FortiGuardï¿½ Security Subscription Services, which deliver continuous, automatic updates for antivirus/antimalware, intrusion prevention, Web filtering, and antispam services.
Fortinet Wireless Technology Benefits
- Firewall, VPN, and Traffic Shaping
- Intrusion Prevention System (IPS)
- Antivirus / Antispyware / Antimalware
- Web Filtering
- Application Control (e.g., IM and P2P)
- VoIP Support (H.323. and SCCP)
- Layer 2/3 routing
FortiWiFi appliances are easy to deploy and manage, with a web-based user interface that allows users to be up and running in minutes. They can also be managed remotely via the FortiManager line of management appliances. This combination of local ease of use and remote management makes FortiWiFi appliances an exceptional value for remote offices, wireless service providers, retail stores, and broadband-connected telecommuter sites. In addition, FortiWiFi devices can be powered by Power over Ethernet (POE) to further ease installation and deployment and reduce your equipment investment.